Posted Under: Sioux Falls, South Dakota jobs in Executive; Executive jobs in zipcode 57101
Posted On: 2019-09-13 00:00:00
KBR (formerly Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies (SGT)) has an immediate need for an energetic and well organized Science Data Manager / Communications Specialist in support of the United States Geological Survey (USGS) Earth Resources Observation & Science (EROS) Center (http://eros.usgs.gov/) near Sioux Falls, SD (http://www.siouxfalls.org).
Education: BS in an Earth or Environmental Science related field
Experience: Scientific data management and communications experience in a fast-paced team-oriented, high demand, collaborative environment
The successful candidate will participate as a member of the USGS EROS Center s Landscape Fire and Resource Management Planning Tools (LANDFIRE) Team. The intent is to develop project proficiency with progressive increases in responsibility. The duties of this position will support two important components of the program. The first is to be responsible for program data files, and associated metadata files located on-site and/or in the cloud environment. The second is to project and promote the science and technical methodology incorporated throughout the LANDFIRE Program. An advanced level of computer proficiency is required as well as demonstrated initiative and the ability to self-teach in areas of weakness utilizing available on-the-job training resources. The candidate must be able to effectively coordinate with a team of scientists and communication specialists to perform the following functions: (Scientist II LC)
Data Manager Responsibilities:
* Data Sources and Acquisition in conjunction with other technical staff, identify sources and ensure data are acquired from reputable and reliable sources
* Metadata / Documentation develop complete, appropriate and compliant metadata and documentation of data holdings. Ensure project metadata meet USGS and other federal standards
* Preservation & Archiving assist in the development of backup plans and processes to ensure raw, intermediate and final digital data holdings are archived appropriately to enable effective use of USGS computing resources, validate files are archived and remove source files
* Data Sharing, Access, Release provide methods for data to be shared with internal team members, external partners, ensure data is accessible to team members and products are prepared for public release
* Data access control contribute to the definition of roles and responsibilities for management, distribution and ownership of data and metadata using guidance from existing Memoranda of Understanding, Memoranda of Agreement, and/or Data Sharing agreements
Communication Specialist Responsibilities:
* Develop complete, clear, and concise written documents that increase the understanding of the USGS Mission and LANDFIRE science products
* Develop scientific visualizations, animations and images for various print and online interactive platforms
* Provide technical support to program communication objectives
* Contribute to the definition, direction, and implementation of the LANDFIRE Program
* Participate in peer reviews
Required Skills and Success Factors:
* Strong attention to detail, excellent organization and follow-through skills
* Enthusiasm for learning breaking out of your comfort zone
* The self-discipline to take initiative when needed
* Understanding of basic remote sensing derivatives and applications; background knowledge in Landsat data
* Competency with remotely sensed data and image processing software, such as but not limited to ENVI, ERDAS Imagine, ArcGIS, Adobe Photoshop
* Strong team player with ability to communicate effectively with technical and scientific staff members, project partners, and customers
* Solid interpersonal communication, technical writing, editing and presentation skills and an advanced knowledge of Microsoft office tools for reporting and documentation of processes and procedures
* The ability to handle multiple tasks and coordinate effectively with others, working with a get-it-done , no-ego team in a dynamic and agile environment
* Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving
* The ability to navigate and translate between technical and creative writing styles
Desired Skills and Experience:
* General familiarity with land cover validation principles and practices
* General familiarity with geospatial data management (especially raster data management) a plus
* Experience organizing, analyzing, driving findings and recommendations from large amounts of raw data, collected through a number of mechanisms, including remote sensing geospatial and field measurements
* Experience with remote sensing, digital image/signal processing techniques, and basic geography concepts such as map projections
* Specific coursework or relevant work experience in earth or environmental related sciences, remote sensing, image processing, geographic information systems, geography or fire behavior
* Familiarity with or desire to learn Python, GDAL, Linux
* Familiarity with lidar
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire to obtain credentials for facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on the KBR/SGT website (Http://www.sgt-inc.com). This position may be filled by a KBR teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply on line.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the SGT is to provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. SGT hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. SGT believes that employees should be provided with a working environment which enables them to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. We expect and require the cooperation of all employees in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.