Posted Under: Washington, DC jobs in Executive; Executive jobs in zipcode 20599
Posted On: 2020-10-18
Job Description: The damage we''re doing to the earth is both unsustainable and infuriating. Climate change is speeding up. Plastic pollution is piling up. There''s even evidence that global deforestation is spreading diseases like COVID-19. But solutions to these problems are all around us, practically begging us to adopt them: solar and wind power, electric cars and buses, more walkable and "bikeable" cities, sustainable alternatives to harmful single-use plastics, more protections for wild places and wildlife, and on and on. Environment America's mission — the thing that drives everything we do — is to transform our ideas and imaginations into change that makes our world a greener and healthier place. To help us achieve this mission, Environment America is seeking an Environmental Defense Campaign Director to promote our policy agenda and lead our D.C.-based advocacy team. The Environmental Defense Campaign Director will work with our staff of researchers, campaign staff and communications experts to develop and implement advocacy campaigns at the federal level. The legislative agenda will balance proactive policies with a robust defense of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act and other important environmental protections that have come under attack in Washington, D.C. We do what it takes to turn public opinion and political momentum toward a greener, healthier world. If you want to work hard, challenge yourself, and make an actual impact on the critical environmental issues of our time, then consider a career with Environment America. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and advance our federal policy agenda.
- Lead our D.C.-based team of advocates and campaign staff to advance our policy goals.
- Seek out and identify policy opportunities related to our issue portfolio and make recommendations regarding policy positions and messaging.
- Develop strong and collaborative relationships with federal agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, legislators and congressional staff on both sides of the aisle, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals.
- Draft materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails, factsheets, bill summaries and policy briefs, regulatory comments, analyses, and presentations.
- Fundraise from charitable foundations and individual donors to support our program. QUALIFICATIONS The ideal candidate will show excellent judgement and discretion and have the ability to oversee significant projects, as well as be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker.
- A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful access-building.
- Well-organized and able to track multiple legislative and administrative proposals as well as organizational priorities such as fundraising and recruitment.
- At least 5 years of experience in grassroots organizing, coalition-building, campaign politics and/or advocacy. Experience as a legislative advocate within Congress, a state legislature or another organization is preferred.
- A team player, with the passion and grit to build a movement and do what it takes to get the work done. LOCATION Washington, DC. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. COMPENSATION Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.